In most cases, a bee sting does not cause much harm. You may feel mild pain, redness, and itching at the sting site, but no severe complications. Severe allergic reactions are only observed if you are allergic to the bee’s toxin. You can use basic first aid and several home remedies to reduce or treat inflamed skin and reduce itching. Some remedies include using honey, witch hazel, and even toothpaste!
If you’ve experienced a reaction to bee stings that implies you might be allergic to bee venom, your doctor may recommend one or both of the following tests:
During skin testing, a little amount of allergen extract (in this situation, bee venom) is sent into the skin of your arm or upper back. This test is harmless and won’t cause any severe reactions. If you’re allergic to bee stings, you’ll have an elevated bump on your skin at the test site.