Abscess is a collection of a liquid substance called pus which is mostly caused by the presence of bacteria in the affected area. Abscess can be found in various parts of the body, such as the skin, breast and different organs of the body.
Breast abscesses is a medical condition in which a sac is formed which may seem like a lump filled with pus. The most common victims of the condition are breastfeeding mothers. In rare cases, it affects non-lactating females and males. In this article, the various causes, diagnosis, treatment and preventive measures will be discussed and explained accurately.
This is an infection of the tissue present in one or two mammary glands. This is characterized as being hard and sore. It is caused by infrequent breastfeeding, improper attachment of the infant and blockage of milk ducts. This condition is mostly found in women who are breastfeeding in rare cases, while it rarely affects the male gender. Some of the symptoms of this infection are fatigue, shivering, anxiety, and increase in body temperature, redness and pain. This infections can be treated by some lifestyle changes and home remedies like:
- Gently express the leftover breast milk.
- Wear comfortable and loose clothes.
- Lactating mothers should change positions while feeding the infant.
- Drink a lot of water.
- Mothers should sleep and rest well.
Prevention of Mastitis
This infection can be prevented by following certain processes, such as:
- Avoid tight bras and clothes.
- Make sure the infant is attaching properly while feeding.
- Feed the baby often and do not leave the breast full for a long period.