Causes and the Ways to Reduce the Chances of Food Poisoning
There are certain organisms that may cause or lead to food poisoning , some of them include campylobacter, listeria, Norovirus, salmonella and Escherichia coli (E coli) . Each time you come in contact with these organisms, they may not result in an illness at that time. However, children, pregnant women and individuals with weak immune systems are at more risk of getting infected from food borne organisms. Handling food poorly is one the major reasons people get infected. To reduce your chances of food poisoning, you may do the following:
- Frequently wash your dishes and hands in soapy, warm water.
- Make sure you always wash your fruits and raw vegetables.
- Handle raw food and meat properly and in a sanitary way.
- Store perishables properly.
- Cook meat properly and at the right temperature.