If you feel highly sensitive to certain changes in your environment, it means your central nervous system overreacts to social, emotional, and physical stimuli. A highly sensitive person could also have sensory processing sensitivity (SPS). It is commonly seen as a negative condition, but it is not. It helps you get the best out of your personality.
How to know if you are highly sensitive?
One of the first things to look out for is how often people tell you “you’re too sensitive” if you hear this a lot, then you may be a highly sensitive person. It would help to know that there is no particular test for this condition and it is not a sign of any mental disorder. It is a behavioural trait characterized by an overreaction to bad and good changes in your environment.
Several studies have been done to know the traits exhibited by people with High sensitivity. Some of them include:
- Staying away from gory or scary movies, because they make you feel intense sentiments.
- Easily swayed by beauty, which could be in any form, including nature, art, music, or a good promotional video.
- Feeling uncomfortable or overwhelmed in crowded and noisy places.
- Seeking downtime after a stressful day or love staying in dark rooms.
- Having a rich and complicated inner life, accompanied by deep thoughts and strong emotions
You can also use Aron’s highly sensitive persons scale (HSPS) to know if you are highly sensitive.