Bupropion is a medicine that is used to treat depression, prevent seasonal affective disorder and can also be used as a generic drug. It is sold under the brand names zyban and wellbutrin, Aplenzin. The Zyban brand of bupropion helps to stop smoking and reduces cravings and other withdrawal behaviors. It helps to improve a person’s mood and gives a feeling of well being. It helps in restoring the balance of some certain neurotransmitters  in your brain, so the nerves can send chemicals such as dopamine and norepinephrine to one and other effectively. It also improves brain metabolism by increasing some enzymes.
The medical condition of the patient determines the dosage to be prescribed by the doctor. The amount of the drug to be taken depends on the strength of the drug and the time intervals between the drugs also depends on the type of drugs being used. These are some basic instructions for using bupropion:
- Only use the brand of bupropion prescribed by the doctor. The usage of other brands may not work for you.
- The drug should be taken through the mouth with or without food as directed by the doctor.
- The medication should be taken as a whole and at once. Chewing or crushing the tablet can increase the risk of side effects like seizures.
- Do not increase your dose often or longer than prescribed.
- Do not stop the drug abruptly without seeking advice from a trusted medical professional.
- Do not use the drug close to your bedtime in order to avoid insomnia.
- Do not double dose. If a dose is missed, it is advised to continue with the normal time interval and use the next tablet.